Saturday, October 04, 2008

Chris: 10/3/2008



Here I am in Jacksonville, Florida: weirdest city on Earth. After a morning spent traipsing around various shopping malls in search of cocktail party attire (big shout-out to Burlington Coat Factory & TJ Maxx), I came across The Shiek. It sticks out in a sea of strip malls & chains thanks to its crumbing sign and accompanying slogan, "Home of the Camel Rider." Naturally I thought this joint would be home to some amazing falafel, but no... The Camel Rider is in fact an Italian sandiwch on a pita. I'm confused, too, so I steered clear & snagged the turkey pita. This treasure set me back about $4.80, with unlimited iced tea refills. The hot sauce helped a lot. Probably not the best lunch. OK, definitely NOT the best lunch, but you gotta consider my current locale a little in this one...

5 comments:

Shawn said...

I don't know man, that doesn't look so good...

teddybear1950 said...

Gross.

bored.crypt6 said...

Chris, love ya man but being Italian, The Camel Rider sounds a bit arrogant, mockin, my peeps!! The food is like unscrumptious and I would ethnically cleanse with Ex-Lax.

Jeremy said...

there's a free standing shiek in orange park, just S/SW of jacksonville. as a local to the area, i probably havent had the shiek in about 20 years. i'm sorry you had to eat there.

Erin K. said...

A retired Sheik owner (they are all brothers) drives me to work when I take my car for service at O'Steen VW. His minivan rider sounds better than his Camel Rider. Jacksonville loves a pita! Even BBQ restaurants have "eggs in a sack" which sounds gross, but tastes delicious..?